When my son was born I took a First Aid course but I’d completely forgotten most of it by the time my daughter came along. Luckily Cotton On KIDS invited me to a Tiny Hearts First Aid event for a bit of a refresh.
Tiny Hearts Paediatric First Aid is the brainchild of two sisters Nikki and Rachel. Their aim is to empower new and expecting parents with the knowledge & skills to protect their child.
Tiny Hearts Paediatric First Aid provides training for parents, expecting parents, grandparents, siblings/ family members and anyone who is responsible for the health & safety of babies and children.
Their courses cover important topics including CPR, Asthma, Anaphylaxis, Drowning, Falls, Temperatures, Seizures, poisoning and SIDS.
Tiny Hearts have provided paediatric first aid training to some of Australia’s biggest celebrities including Megan Gale, Zoe & Hamish Blake, Kate Ritchie, and Erin McNaught.
I asked Nikki and Rachel what their top tips are for baby safety:
Tiny Hearts First Aid Top Safety Tips
1. It only takes 20 seconds and a few centimetres of water for a child to drown. Remember drowning is quick and silent! Drowning is 100% preventable, never take your eyes off your child when in the water. No matter where children are around water: whether it is in the bathroom, background, beach or on the farm – they must be protected.
2. Burns must always be treated with cool running water for at least 20 minutes
3. It is only necessary to reduce a child’s fever if the child is uncomfortable e.g restless, agitated, in pain. There is no advantage to lowering your child’s fever, except for comfort. Fever is not known to cause damage to the brain or other organs.
4. Always sleep baby on their back to reduce the risk of SIDS. Sleeping baby on their tummy increases the chance of SIDS by 14 times!
5. Since 2008 the number of infants with whooping cough is on the rise. Whopping cough is highly contagious and those most at risk are babies under 6 months of age as there are not completely immunised until 6 months of age. It is highly recommended anyone who will be in contact with baby in the first 6 months of life.
Thanks to Cotton On KIDS and Tiny Hearts I have one couples gift voucher for the Tiny Hearts Paediatric First Aid Course to giveaway valued at $145.
Simply enter via the box below!
For more information on Tiny Hearts First Aid visit the website.