Looking for quick and easy kids meals? Check out this recipe for Mixed Berry Chia Jam.
I have my good friend nutritionist Hannah Scott on the blog today sharing healthy recipes that you and your little ones will enjoy!
Kids Meals: Mixed Berry Chia Jam
Store bought jams are usually laden with refined sugar – an unnecessary addition given that fruit is so sweet itself. You can buy refined sugar free jams, such as the St Dalfour brand, as a healthier alternative, but chia jams take healthy jam to the next level.
This is because chia seeds add protein and essential fatty acids lowering the glycaemic load and reforming jam into a nutritious treat!
This mixed berry chia jam recipe has minimal added sugar in the form of maple syrup, a natural sugar that includes nutrients refined sugar doesn’t have. This jam can be enjoyed with toast for breakfast or added to natural yoghurt for a healthy snack.
500g frozen mixed berries,
- Juice of one lemon,
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2-3 tablespoons on maple syrup, rice malt syrup or honey,
- 2 tablespoonschia seeds
- Add the mixed berries, syrup, lemon juice and vanilla essence to a pan and simmer gently over a low heat, stirring occasionally until the berries defrost and the mixture has become quite mushy. This usually takes around ten minutes.
- Remove the pan from the stove, transfer the jam mixture into a bowl and allow it to cool down for five minutes. You can stir the mixture during this time to allow the heat to disperse.
- Add the chia seeds and mix them through until evenly combined. Keep stirring while the chia seeds thicken and become gelatinous.
- Once the jam has cooled completely transfer it to a glass gar and refrigerate.
About the Author
Hannah Scott is an accredited Nutritionist, Naturopath and Health Coach. Hannah is the founder ofNatural Health Forever wellness clinic, author of the Eat Better Forever food blog and a keen healthy recipe creator. She is currently studying a Master of Human Nutrition through Deakin University.
For more recipes and information check out Hannah’s website www.naturalhealthforever.com.
Did you love this recipe for mixed berry chia jam?
See more recipes from Hannah here.